Sunday, August 11, 2013

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies have to be my favorite sweet treat. They're addictive! I recently came across this recipe via Pinterest. I had heard of "The New York Times" cookie recipe before but had never tried it. I'm always interested in trying new chocolate chip cookie recipes so I figured I would give this a shot. The cookies are crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. The recipe suggests adding a sprinkle of sea salt on the top of each cookie. I thought it may be weird but it actually gives it a nice sweet/salty combination.



New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies
from The New York Times

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups minus 2 tablespoons Cake Flour
  • 1 2/3 Cups bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt (I used sea salt; original recipe calls for 1 1/2 teaspoons)
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) of butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (Original recipe calls for 20 ounces, I had a 24 ounce bag so what's an extra 4 ounces?)
Sift dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.

Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment*, cream butter and sugars together until light in color and fluffy. About 5 minutes. Reduce speed and beat in eggs, one at a time and mix well. Stir in vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined, about 10 seconds. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerated dough for minimum of 24 hours and up until 72 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 2 tablespoonful** of cookie dough  onto cookie sheet for each cookie. Lightly sprinkle the cookies with sea salt and bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown. Allow cookie to cool on cookie sheet slightly, transfer to wire rack and cool, or eat warm!

*I used my Kitchen Aid Stand mixer. You can use any stand mixer, hand mixer, or beat by hand.
**original recipe calls for 3.25 ounces balls and cooking for 18-20 minutes. I like slightly smaller cookies so I opted for 2 tablespoons of dough.

Helpful Tip: This cookie recipe makes a lot of cookie dough. Too much for just my husband and I alone. I bake about half the dough and froze the rest for a later use. I prepared the balls of dough and froze on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Once frozen, I put the cookie dough in a gallon size freezer bag. A week later, I needed a quick snack to take to a friends house and I whipped these out in no time!


1 comment :

  1. Yum! I've not tried this recipe, but have seen it around. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete