Friday, January 10, 2014

Homemade, Fluffy Pancakes

I'm not big on breakfast food, but every once in a while I enjoy a good "brinner" (breakfast + dinner). These pancakes are light and fluffy make a hearty addition to your breakfast menu. They are super easy to make and come together in 30 minutes or less!




One method I'll explain is the "sour milk" method. The recipe calls for milk and vinegar to be mixed together. This creates a sour milk or buttermilk base for your pancake. I typically make buttermilk this way. I rarely have it on hand, so when a recipe calls for buttermilk, I use this method and its subs just fine. Of course, if you have buttermilk, that will work just the same.

I mix all the ingredients together and pour into a large measuring cup like so. This make it's easier for pouring the pancakes.




Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. I also respray in between pancake batches as needed. I do not have a griddle so I used my cast iron skillet. It worked great, but you can only cook two at a time.




Pour the batter until desired pancake size. I used around 1/2 cup for larger pancakes, 1/4 cup for small pancakes (Of course, I just eyed it and didn't measure correctly because I'm too lazy to measure my pancakes). Pancakes are ready to flip when batter begins to bubble and edges are set.

Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.


Fluffy Pancakes
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • Pam cooking spray
Directions

1. In a medium bowl, whisk milk and vinegar together. Allow to sit and "sour" for 5 minutes.

2. In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together. Once milk is ready, whisk in butter and eggs. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Stir until the dry is incorporated and there are no lumps remaining. Do not overmix.


3. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray. Pour pancake batter to desired pancake size: 1/2 cup for larger pancakes, 1/4 cup for small pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear and edges are set. Flip pancake and cook until browned on the other side. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Yields: 9-10 Large pancakes or 18-20 small pancakes

Adapted from All Recipes


No comments :

Post a Comment