Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Blackberry "Power" Smoothie

A creamy, blackberry and spinach smoothie packed with nutrients. It tastes so sweet and rich, you won't even think it's healthy!



Is it just me or has it been a rough winter?

January was a rough month for me. I was sick twice and haven't felt fully recovered for some time.

Also...cabin fever. Anyone else know how I feel? Winter has been in full-force with snow and extreme temperatures. I love the snow but the negative temps are starting to get old.

I'm slowly feeling better and have hopes that February will be a much better month (here's to positive thinking anyway!).

I always feel more compelled to eat healthy during the winter. Mostly to combat all the illness going around, but also to help with overall mood. Winter blues usually set in hardcore starting in January. I try to keep with my exercise regimen and eat well so keep my mood up. One way I love to sneak in extra fruits and veggies is with a smoothie. I call this blackberry smoothie my "power" smoothie because I always feel a burst of energy after I drink one. I occasionally have one for breakfast or split one with Mark for a snack.

The smoothie is packed with different ingredients and full of nutrients. I use a very ripe banana, blackberries, spinach, flax seed, ice, agave nectar and milk. I always thought it seemed odd to throw spinach in a smoothie, but you really can't taste it! Kale seems to be the more popular choices these days for smoothies but I much prefer spinach the over kale. Kale has a bitter taste that always shines through. I can't handle it. Of course, if you prefer kale, by all means use it. I like to use agave nectar for the sweetener but you can use honey or granulated sugar as well. I will warn you, this smoothie has a lot of seeds due to the blackberries. If you prefer to cut back on them, I suggest doing a variation of blackberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries. I love blackberries though so I don't mind the seeds.

Blackberry Power Smoothie
  • 1 ripe banana*
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh blackberries
  • A handful of spinach
  • 1 tablespoon milled flax seed
  • 2-3 teaspoons agave nectar  
  • 1/2-1 cup milk (cow's, almond, soy, coconut) to the consistency you like
  • 1 cup of ice
Directions

Throw all ingredients into a blender (starting with 1/2 cup of milk). Set on ice crush and blend until ice is crushed and spinach is finely chopped. Add milk more milk if needed until you reach the consistency you want. Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.

Note: Use a banana that has a little black on the skin. The riper banana, the more flavor and sweeter your smoothie will be.

Yields: 1 large or two small smoothies. About 24 ounces.
 


No comments :

Post a Comment