Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Quick Tip Tuesday: Washing fruit

* I occasionally come up with a good idea and think, "I should share that!" I've decided to do a "quick tip Tuesday" post whenever I have a tip I want to share. Some tips you may be familiar with, but hopefully you'll learn something new!

Whenever I buy soft skin fruits, I always wash them with a mixture of white vinegar and water. The vinegar cleans the fruit and helps it last longer. I found this especially true with berries. Berries tend to spoil and mold quickly, but washing them with vinegar prolongs their life by about a week.

I love using my salad spinner for this process because it makes it so easy. Place the colander piece into the bowl and place fruit in the colander. Soak them in a mixture of three parts fresh water and one part vinegar for about 15-20 minutes



Remove the colander and drain the water out of the salad spinner. Give the fruit a quick rinse to remove any remaining vinegar. Drain well and carefully spin dry. Pat dry with paper towels if needed.



And there you have it! I love finding new uses for my salad spinner. What other things do you use your salad spinner for?

No comments :

Post a Comment