Monday, February 3, 2014

The BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie

We are a house divided when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. My husband loves these New York Times cookies, but I think this recipe is the best.



Of course, you can never have too many chocolate chip cookies recipes. Since they are the greatest cookie on earth.  




Just my personal opinion...




I based this off a recipe we used growing up. It's from an old church cookbook that my mom owns. I've made this recipe so many times I have it memorized. I made changes I thought were necessary to get the best cookie. I increased the amount of brown sugar because I think it adds the necessary moisture and flavor. I also use both baking powder and baking soda to get the best lift. Many times cookies spread out too much, are too flat, or too thick and look like little balls instead of cookies. Both ingredients added give the cookie the correct texture without being too thick or thin.





Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Set aside.

2. Using a hand or stand mixer (or a bit of elbow grease), cream butter and shortening together until combined. About one minute. Add the sugars and cream for an additional 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated and fluffy. Stir in dry ingredients until combined, do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.

3. Roll cookie dough into tablespoon size balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes. Move cookies to a wire baking rack to cool.

Yields: About 5 dozen cookies

From: Tasteful Cuisine and adapted from an old church cookbook recipe

No comments :

Post a Comment